a question about lymph nodes

A special forum where you can have direct chat with a certified lymphedema therapist for questions regarding your treatment and daily management of lymphedema. Tom Kincheloe is our moderator for this forum.

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, tkincheloe, Senior Moderators

a question about lymph nodes

Postby Wokkel » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:00 pm

Hello,

I hope i picked the right forum subject for my question. I have a medical file which includes an xray of the lymph vessels/nodes (as far as theyre present) in my legs, it was made when i was nine years old. As a comment about the xray it sais, "in both upper legs we see hyperplasia nodes, on the right a little more than on the left". All i could find about the definition of hyperplasia is that it means larger than it should be, or more cellgrowth than it should have. I was wondering if this also influences the functionality of the lymphnodes. I hope you can help me, thank you

Take care

Marieke
Wokkel

Re: a question about lymph nodes

Postby patoco » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:57 pm

Hi Marieka :)

Tom, our moderator/therapist has had compuer problems so he hasn't be ble to respond yet...but he will.

To answer your question though, is yes it will absolutely effect the lymph nodes ability to function correctly.

When the lymph system is more dilated then it should be - either nodes or channels etc, the little values located throughout are not able to close properly thereby causing a "backflow." Also, this will weaken the "contractibility" of the lymph system which is the mechanism by which lymp fluid is pushed through the system. This eventually will lead to lymphedema and depending on where the dilation is specifically will also call something named lymphangiectasia.

Unfortunately, at the present time, they do not know how to correct this. :(

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby Wokkel » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:06 am

Hi Pat,

I'm glad to be back and to see you still working on the forum, i've missed you and the others of the lymph group. You're doing great work, thank you Pat

Thank you for your reply, i already suspected it wouldnt be good news. I'm not too worried though, nothing drastic happened since i know about this. I looked up 'lymphangiectasia' and i dont have any symptoms of having that.

Do you think a low-fat (i already do) and also high protein diet would have a good effect on lymphedema? I was wondering because i read about it when i read about lymphangictasia.Could it have a bad effect on my lipedema though?

The harder parts of my lymphedema, specially my toes, isnt that caused by protein cells that are too big to get back into the lymph vessels, it's how it's been explained to me once, that the hard and clay-ish parts of my feet are caused by that, which can be partly helped by some heavy duty mld therapy, and a kind of pressure wrapping to loosen it up. So i don't know if high protein diet would be right in my case, but maybe this has to do with something else. Do you think you could advise me in this?

Take care

Marieke
Wokkel

Postby patoco » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:50 am

hey Again Marieka :D

It's good to be back and at leasst able to do a few things. I'm am so disappointed that we can't get Let's Talk going again. They sure didn't explain well how everything would be when it was changed over.

That stuff on your toes is collegen, which is literally squeezed up through the skin from the pressure of the swelling. MLD, compression etc, that would get the swelling down would help on this. There is a way of wrapping your toes, but I found it soooooo difficult that I basically gave it up.

neither a low fat diet or a high protein diet will actually help with either lymphedema or lipedema. There have been quite a few members in our Lipedema Yahoo group that have tried low fat diets to no avail. This is because lipedema actually has nothing to do with diet and is instead a metabolic disorder. We've had members who have literally tried starving themselves to death and it didn't do much for the lip. From all indications we have lip and lymph patients should simply make sure they have the daily requirement in protein.

The reason low fat/high protein is good for lymphangiectasia - the intestinal lymphangiectasia type is that people with this have great problems processing fats and absorbing proteins. This is due to the dilation of their abdominal lymphatics and due to actually swelling of the intestinal tract itself. It's a really tough thing to have and many of the members in our lymphantgiectasia group are severly restricted in their diets. It's hardest on the kids too as they are growing up in a culture that glorifies high fat (fast foods, chips etc).

Hope this helps! :!:

All the best to you!

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby Wokkel » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:19 am

Hi,
Yes it's too bad that the lymph group couldnt continue the way it was, i hope all the people from the group can find this website, its a great help, and its great to try to help others.

I meant that the feel of my feet when i touch/massage them feels clay-ish, can press dents in them etc. i dont think anything has come through my skin.at the end of the days my toes just look (and feel) like they cant get any more swollen than they are. it feels very burny and uncomftable to touch them when they are like that,and if i put my feet flat on the ground almost all my toes dont touch the floor. my toes also feel very hard, i think because the edema been in there for so long, and the protein cells that cant get back into the circulation became hard.there is less tention in the skin of my toes in the morning when ive had them up all night. I'm going to make a mldtherapy appointment for next week, to see if she can make my toes feel more comftable, and get new support stockings measured on.

Take care,

Marieke
Wokkel

Return to Meet the Therapist